Monday, May 2, 2011

Blog 1: Beauty Splurges

Recently, I've been splurging a lot on beauty products, especially to get a sense of what products work best for me. Through trial and error, I have found that  some of the products below have worked the best for me. The ones I list right after haven't been too kind on my skin.


Beauty Splurges That Worked for Me:


Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew Anti-Dark Circle Roller - $12.99
While this product isn't overly expensive, it is a bit of a splurge for me, but one I don't have to dish out cash for too often as the product has long lasting number of applications in one roll-stick. This anti-dark circle roller has proven quite effective on my dark circles. Sadly, I was cursed with dark circles from genetics and lack of enough restful sleep, but this stick works perfectly to help heal any puffiness. It's great because you can use it on your eyes and then proceed to applying concealer and foundation. It's part of my makeup routine. 






High Beam Luminescent Complexion Enhancer by Benefit Cosmetics - $24.00


Like I stated in an earlier post, whoever invented this was a genius! This is definitely a beauty splurge for me, but well worth the $24.00 price. It gives the right amount of shimmer and isn't a very heavy liquid, so it won't clog up your pores, which is ideal for me. If a product is too heavy or oily, it will definitely cause my skin to break out. 


DiorSkin AirFlash Spray Foundation  - $60.00
An ultimate splurge for me! I've tried a few different kinds of liquid foundation from Bare Minerals, Smashbox, and the usual grocery store brands like Maybelline and Cover Girl, but what I really enjoyed about this one from Dior was its liquid lightweightness. I also loved the fact of spraying it on my face rather than applying foundation with my finger or a sponge. Granted, I used a sponge to even it out in spots that may not have caught foundation. I enjoyed that it wasn't a greasy foundation and it instantly made my skin look clearer/even. It also doesn't cause me to breakout like the foundation from Smashbox, which I'll describe below in the splurge products that didn't work for me. 


Bare Minerals Blush - $18.00
I absolutely love this blush mineral powder. I love the fact that Bare Minerals gives customers a variety of colors to choose from making it easier people of all skin color types - fair to dark brown, to find a blush that works for them. My skin is pretty fair, except when I get a chance to tan in the summer, so I usually switch from a rose color to peach throughout the seasons. I also use a lot more bronzer per say over the winter months to still keep a sort of glow. I love that once again the powder doesn't cause my skin to breakout because of its lightweightedness and the fact that they use natural products, so I would say any beauty product that is organic or does not have tons of chemicals put into it, is the best way to have healthy skin. 


Beauty Splurges That Did Not Work For Me

Here we go! I'm the type of person that I'll give any product a chance once, or twice to see how my skin reacts to it. These products for some reason or another just didn't work for me, so while I did splurge a bit, I don't necessarily regret spending the dough either. You don't know if you don't try!

Smashbox High Definition Healthy FX Foundation - $38.00
I'm not quite sure why this product didn't work for me the way it should have or at least it was advertised especially being that it was a Best of Sephora nominee in 2008. Don't get me wrong I loved the way my face felt with it on. See I wear makeup everyday, with the exception of lazy Saturdays or Sundays at home (no need for it then) and it left my skin looking great. But after a few days of using it, I started to break out. Now I'll get into some more detail about my facial skin in my next post, but I have never had a huge issue with acne before. Even when I hit puberty, I've been clear skinned for most of my life with the occasional pimple due to stress brought on by school or work. When I started using this product more frequently, I was breaking out and not even small pimples either, but I had huge mountains on my face (granted, I am exaggerating a little bit, they were more like hills) but that's besides the fact that I freak out when the slightest blemish comes along. I love having good skin, so I stopped using Smashbox Foundation. After that, my acne has cleared up significantly. I think the issue with it is that it there were too many oily ingredients in it, despite the packaging saying it's oil-free and good for all skin. Manufacturers need to be honest when they package their products because if not it could cause a customer serious issues, granted everybody's skin is different, so you can't assume that this might work for everyone.


Bare Minerals Prime Time Foundation Primer - $21.00
Okay, so while I do love Bare Minerals, I didn't enjoy this product too much. I don't really have oily skin, but I don't necessarily have dry skin either, except for the winter months when I need to moisturizer a lot more especially because of the constant heat being emitted in buildings due to the cold. But getting back on track, I had originally bought this primer so I could have a good base before applying my concealer and foundation. After applying it though, it left my face feeling really dry.  The dryness ended somewhat after applying foundation, but none the less I didn't enjoy the tightness I felt afterwards, I mean I didn't get Botox or anything, so there should be no reason for my skin to be yelling for a glass of water or a slab of moisturizer. I still have this product, but I stopped using it because it just didn't work for me. 







No comments:

Post a Comment